Monday, April 16, 2012

IVF #2 - Stim Day 9


April 16th, 2012

Stimulation Day #9 – Still on same regimen. I have now had over 35 injections via self-injections or blood draws this cycle. I do not know the grand total including both cycles, but somewhere over 100 injections. I sometimes wonder when I am changing clothes at the gym what people think if they see the track on my stomach, or the faint bruises on my arms. My ultrasound went well and after leaving I was pretty sure that we would trigger that night.



I called my PRN line that afternoon and I was to take my trigger shot at 12:30am on the dot. I was finally through with those injections, for now. From what they could see I had 11 eggs over 16mm and several others that were still too small. My lining was excellent at 11.72mm.  E2-2639; P4: -2.0. I will stop my FSH, dexamethasone, and Ganirelix. At this point, everything is riding on this trigger shot. 12:30am is way past my bedtime, but I was so scared to fall asleep. I was so afraid something would happen and I wouldn’t hear the 7 alarms we had set. I set 4 on my phone and Rocky set 3. Rocky kept telling me to not worry, that he will wake up. If you miss the trigger it is likely that the entire cycle will have to be cancelled. They really enforced the fact that this has to be done at this time. I prayed that the Lord would make sure I woke up, I put it in His hands, and I went to sleep. 

 I gave the shot and the end result was fine, but my technique was disastrous. I was half asleep. Everything I knew about giving injections completely went out of the window. What if I drop this glass bottle? I pictured the glass bottle shattering into a million pieces on my stone floor. What if I don’t mix it right? Of course, this shot you have to mix up by injecting air into a vial with water and taking some of the water and putting into another vial with powder. Then mix it thoroughly, without shaking it. So I used the “roll” technique. I wanted to shake the darn thing so I could get back to bed before I wake up too much and can’t go back to sleep. Then they emphasize that you must draw up every last drop. This is the part when my type A got the best of me. When you say every drop, I take that literally. There is so much banking on this shot. Well, it is actually impossible to get EVERY drop. You will definitely leave a little remnant behind. Keep in mind; I have just been awakened from a wonderful sleep. Needless to say, I ended up injecting myself 3 separate times, with the same needle. I just kept seeing “one more drop”. When it was over, I thought, I am so glad this isn’t judged on style points. One of the shots I even injected air into my stomach. Ridiculous.  I am blaming it on stress and being in the middle of the night. Moving on…

No comments:

Post a Comment